Ukraine has a strong scientific foundation for implementation of hydrogen technologies. Since 2011 in the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine there is ongoing targeted complex program of fundamental research "Hydrogen in alternative energy and new technologies"
This program has 43 research projects, which are taking place in 17 institutions. Here is the list of research projects conducted in scientific laboratories in Ukraine.
Donetsk O. O. Galkin Institute of Physics and Engineering
* Development of new highly efficient materials with functional and structural properties and create experimental models of oxide-ceramic fuel cells based on ZrO2. Supervisor: Konstantinova Tetyana Ye.
Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry and Petrochemistry
* Obtaining hydrogen from sub-standard raw carbon materials based on composite proton conducting membrane catalysts.
М. H. Kholodny Institute of Botany
* Light-dependent production of hydrogen by micro algae (Chlorophyta) and photosynthetic bacteria (Rhodobacter).
Institute of Renewable Energy
* Optimization of parameters of operation of wind turbines and electrolyzers for production of hydrogen for its use in autonomous power supply systems. Supervisor: Kudria Stepan O.
Coal Energy Technology Institute
* Hydrogen production by heterogeneous catalytic steam conversion of biomass and waste following by chemical regeneration. Supervisor: Dudnik Oleksii V.
* Study of hydrogen production from Ukrainian low-grade-energy types of coal and brown coal. Development of new solid-state hydrogen technologies for renewable energy sector and chemical industry. Supervisor: Dydnuk Andriy B.
* Improvement and optimization of plasma technologies of hydrogen production.
* Fundamental principles of processes of hydrogen adsorption using carbon nanomaterials for application in hydrogen energy.
Ye. O. Paton Electric Welding Institute
* Research on the nature and patterns of hydrogen-induced cracks in welded joints of structural steels for storage and transportation of hydrogen.
V. I. Vernadsky Institute of General and Inorganic Chemistry
* Development of high-performance processes for producing hydrogen from water with the help of nanostructured energy-accumulating materials using activated zinc, manganese, aluminum, bismuth, iron and other components with the recovery of waste oxides by carbo-thermal method.
* Use of surface modification of cathodes and anodes to develop electrodes with a low overpotential of hydrogen and oxygen and increase of the economic efficiency of hydrogen production by low-temperature electrolysis.
* Developing of effective photoelectrochemical systems for hydrogen production and storage.
* Electrolyte and electrode materials for low temperature (600 ° C) fuel cell based on zirconium oxide and stabilized with a complex scandium-containing additives.
* Highly efficient electrocatalytic systems for hydrogen-oxygen fuel cells based on hybrid carbon-metal-containing nanostructured materials.
A. V. Dumansky Institute of Colloid and Water Chemistry
* Hydrogen production by wastewater purification using photocatalytic and electro-membrane methods
G. V. Kurdyumov Institute for Metal Physics
* The effect of the phase and structural states on hydrogen ‐ sorption properties of heterophasis alloys of the systems of Ti ‐ Fe ‐ Mn and Ti ‐ Zr ‐ Mn ‐ V. Scientific leader: Ivanchenko Volodymyr G.
* The physical bases of hydrogen application as temporary alloying element in manufacturing of Zr and Zr‐Ti‐based alloys by solid‐state diffusion. Scientific leader: Ivasyshyn Orest M.
D. K. Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology
* Development of granular microbial substance (GMS) for industrial biotechnological methods of molecular hydrogen production from environmentally hazardous organic waste.
I. M. Frantsevich Institute for Problems of Materials Sciences
* Development of photoelectrochemical cell for hydrogen production using hybrid photo-anode based on solid-state solar cell covered with film of titanium dioxide. Scientific leader: Dan’ko Dmytro В.
* Development of information center "Hydrogen-Info" for information support of the program of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine "Hydrogen in alternative energy and new technologies". Scientific leader: Chernyshev Leonid I.
* Development of basics for combined technology of hydrogen production by steam-metal method and tungsten oxide synthesis by recycling industrial waste using concentrated solar energy. Scientific leader: Pasichny Vladislav V.
* Theoretical studies of sorption capacity of AV5 type alloys and their practical application in hydrogen storage systems. Scientific leader: Zaginaichenko Svetlana Y.
* Investigation of hydrogen desorption from hydrofullerinites C60Hx and a new method of synthesis of higher hydrides of fullerenes. Scientific leader: Schur Dmytro V.
* Development of hydrogen sorption materials based on metal hydrides and their use as hydrogen accumulators and electrodes for electrochemical systems for energy development. Scientific leader: Solonin Iurii M.
* Performance improving of high-temperature wear-resistant materials based on tungsten carbide and non-metallic nitrides by using preliminary hydrogen-heat treatment of initial powders. Scientific leader: Skorokhod Valeriy V.
* Scientific bases of destructive hydrogenation-recombination of intermetallic compounds and alloys containing hydride-forming metal and development of a new generation of non-destructive hydrogen batteries. Scientific leader: Bratanich Tatiana I.
* Structural transformations in anode of ceramic fuel cells during its reduction and oxidation. Scientific leader: Vasylyev Oleksandr D.
A. M. Pidhorny Institute for Mechanical Engineering Problems
* Developing thermo‐gas dynamic fundamentals for making highly‐efficient hydrogen turbo‐installations with thermochemical compression of working medium. Scientific leader: Matsevity Yuriy M.
* Thermo‐dynamic and thermo‐physical fundamentals of energy conversion in metal‐hydride installations taking into consideration thermal non‐stationarity in thermal sorption processes in the presence of temperature hysteresis. Scientific leader: Solovey Viktor V.
* Power ecological fundamentals of making hydrogen technologies of neutralizing carcinogenic compounds for transport and stationary grids. Making scientific and practical fundamentals of using hydrogen in technologies of stimulation of oil, gas, and gas condensate production. Scientific leader: Kravchenko Oleh V.
L. V. Pisarzhevsky Institute of Physical Chemistry
* Physico-chemical basis for the creation of heterogeneous-catalytic processes and catalysts for hydrogen production from solid renewable materials.
* Fundamental basis for the creation of catalysts for hydrogen production by steam reforming of liquid biomass.
* Development of the fundamental principles of new nanostructured systems for electrochemical processes of hydrogen separation and reduction of oxygen for the fuel cells.
* Hydrogen production by reforming of natural gas combined with methanol on structured catalysts.
* Development of physical and chemical bases for new highly porous metal-organic framework materials for hydrogen storage.
* Nanocomposite porous materials based on titanium dioxide and carbon for technologies of hydrogen utilization and storage.
Institute of Macromolecular Chemistry
* Development of hybrid materials for proton conductive membrane in polymerelectrolyte hydrogen fuel cells.
National Science Center ‘Kharkiv Institute of Physics and Technology
* Study of influence of insoluble components on the accumulation and production of hydrogen from magnesium composite materials obtained by plasma spraying of alloy components. Scientific leader: Morozov Oleksandr M.
H. V. Karpenko Physico‐Mechanical Institute
* Development of multicomponent composite materials based on light hydride-forming metals for efficient hydrogen storage. Scientific leader: Zavalii Ihor Yu.
* Development of methods and tools for diagnosing of local hydrogen damage in ferromagnetic structural elements. Scientific leader: Skalskyy Valentyn R.
* Development of criteria of durability and efficiency of structural steels exposed to hydrogen environment taking into account hydrogen accumulation near defects - concentrators of stress. Scientific leader: Dmytrakh Ihor M.
* Development of hydrogen technologies for decrease of microstructure of ferromagnetic alloys based on R2Fe14B for improvement of permanent magnets properties. Scientific leader: Bulyk Ihor Ivanovych